Hot and Cold Stone Therapy
Hot stone massage combines the benefits of Hydrotherapy and Thermalism (the use of heat) with massage stones. The stones are used to create a deep, relaxing and healing treatment.
It is generally accepted that dependent on the therapist, one stroke of a heated basalt stone is equivalent to 5-10 strokes of the therapist's hand.
Benefits of Hot Stone Therapy
- Increased local circulation
- Improved blood flow to tissues
- Improved toxin and waste product removal
- Depth of treatment
Cold stone therapy, or Cryotherapy works on the principle of heat exchange. When ice or an object of cooler temperature is applied, the temperature of any damaged tissue is reduced and blood vessels are constricted. This in turn slows the consumption of oxygen to the area and reduces the rate of cell damage.
Used with hot stones, cold stones have a healing, cleansing and nourishing effect. It is particularly strengthening to the immune system.
Benefits of Cryotherapy:
- To disperse congested tissues
- Reduce swelling
- Decrease muscle spasms
- Stimulate the autonomic nervous system
- Increase tissue metabolism
- Decongestion of the sinus and puffiness around the eyes.